Category Archives: Drifter/Trawler

S.D/T. Kindred Star (1) LT399 (Seasonal)

© Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 149212
Yard Number: 1022
Completed: 1928
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 50
Length: 92.05 ft
Breadth: 19.6 ft
Depth: 9.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Burrell & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

9.6.1928: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1022) for Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as KINDRED STAR.
4.7.1928: Completed (Frederick E. Catchpole, Lowestoft, manager).
17.8.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT399).
3.3.1930: Struck rocks off South Bishops Rock, Pembrokeshire while on passage Padstow to Fleetwood (Sk. Teddy Marjoram). Subsequently foundered after crew had taken to boat. Sighted and picked up by Liverpool steamer CHESHIRE COAST (1122grt/1915).
4.3.1930: Crew landed at Bristol.
24.3.1930: Lowestoft registry closed “Vessel foundered”.

Changelog

07/10/2010: age published. 3 updates since then.

S.D/T. S.D.J. LT1187

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Wartime visitor

Technical

Official Number: 132971
Yard Number: 376
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 36
Length: 87.3 ft
Breadth: 18.4 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood, Beccles
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

1912: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.376) for James Smith, Lowestoft as S.D.J.
8.1912: Completed (James Smith, managing owner).
28.8.1912: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1187).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA, 1-2pdr) (Ad.No.1857). Based Dover.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Lowestoft (James Smith, Lowestoft).
17.8.1922: James Smith died.
22.12.1922: James Smith & Stephen James Smith, Lowestoft- joint owners (James Smith, manager).
1937: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood.
Pre 1943-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
11-12.5.1947: Missing in North Sea presumed mined; debris later found. Nine crew lost.
4.6.1947: Lowestoft registry closed.

(Lost – Sk, F. S. Church, A. W. Ames, L. C. Church, R. J. Gooding, W. H. Harman, W. Hart, A. E. Long, C. F. Mobbs, J. E. Winfield.)

S.D/T S.D.J. LT1187

S.D/T S.D.J. LT1187
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. S.D.J. LT1187

S.D/T. S.D.J. LT1187
Picture from the Internet

Changelog

30/09/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
01/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/T. Wivenhoe – LT336 (Seasonal)

Additional information by Barry Banham
Wartime visitor

Technical

Official Number: 135784
Yard Number: 383
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 86.0
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles

History

1913: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.393) for Waveney Steam Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as WIVENHOE.
12.1913: Completed (Arthur Gouldby, Kessingland, manager).
10.1.1914: Registered at Lowestoft (LT336).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1868). Based Aegean Sea.
1919: Returned to owner.
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow and Fleetwood (New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, managing agents).
26.1.1937: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, Beccles, manager).
19.5.1937: Registered at Lowestoft as COAST BREEZE (LT336).
Pre 1943-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
31.5.1944: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, Beccles, manager).
9.1957: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
4.10.1957: Sailed Lowestoft for Bruges (Sk. Scarlett).
6.10.1957: Delivered Bruges.
22.11.1957: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Coast Breeze LT336

S.D/T Coast Breeze LT336
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Coast Breeze LT336

S.D/T. Coast Breeze LT336
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
29/09/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
09/07/2016: Picture added.
30/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/T. Pêcheur LT228 (Seasonal)

© Barry Banham for FMHT

Technical

Official Number: 136596
Yard Number: 407
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 99
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.95 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

1914: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.407) for Arthur Gouldby , Kessingland (16/64); Frank Burton, Lowestoft (16/64); William Garrood, Oulton Broad (16/64); Walter Albert Wood Greaves, Lowestoft (16/64) as HOLLYDALE.
12.10.1914: Registered at Lowestoft (LT437).
14.10.1914: Completed trials and accepted (Arthur Gouldby, manager).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1873).
18.11.1918: Sold to James Johnson, Scarborough.
12.12.1918: Lowestoft registry closed.
12.12.1918: Registered at Scarborough (SH354).
1920: Returned to owner.
9.1920: Scarborough registry closed.
24.9.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1204)
19.2.1925: Sold to John Stephen, Cairnbulg, Aberdeenshire.
28.2.1925: Lowestoft registry closed.
29.2.1925: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR86).
1.1931: Sold to Edmund Thomas Capps, Lowestoft for £2,000. Fraserburgh registry closed.
5.1.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT228).
31.12.1931: Registered at Lowestoft as PÊCHEUR (LT228).
1936/37: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
9.3.1937: Sold to E. T. Capps & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Edmund Thomas Capps, manager).
17.3.1937: Landed at Fleetwood 69 boxes grossed £100.
30.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom drifter (P.No.Z164)(Hire rate £27.0.0d/month).
29.6.1945: Returned to Lowestoft.
17.7.1945: Returned to owner.
17.10.1945: At Lowestoft landed 70 crans of herring.
22.6.1948: In collision with steam drifter MARSHAL PAK (LT200).
12.10.1954: At Lowestoft landed 226 crans.
1956: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
15.5.1956: Arrived Bruges.
23.5.1956: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Pêcheur LT228

S.D/T Pêcheur LT228
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Changelog

21/09/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4142
Official Number:139989
Yard Number: 9
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Coatbridge
Boiler: Thos. Sudron & Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

1919: Launched by J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.9) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BOW WAVE (Ad.No.4142).
5.2.1919: Forms for tender to purchase received by the Admiralty.
26.6.1919: Sold to Bertha Agusta Richards & Charles Aleyn Jordan, Lowestoft.
29.7.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
17.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (Part I & IV) as BOW WAVE O.N.139989 (LT589).
13.12.1919: Sold to Viking Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (James Pye, manager).
10.8.1924: Sold to James Pye & Robert J. Read, Lowestoft (joint owners).
19.2.1925: Sold to Seven Ltd, Lowestoft (James Pye, manager).
11.6.1925: In dense fog stranded on rocks E of Redcar Pier. Refloated on evening tide with damage propeller.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
26.8.1930: At Bangor Magistrates Court, Sk. F. J. Pye, Fleetwood, was fined £10 for trawling within the three mile limit off the Welsh coast.
1940: Re-possessed by bank and laid up at Lowestoft.
5.1940: Hire negotiated with The Admiralty by Basil Parkes, Fleetwood.
18.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
22.5.1940: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool.
1.7.1940: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
11.1940: Based Anstruther as a TRV.
8.2.1946: Returned to owner.
3.1.1949: Sold to Andrew Pyper Baird, Peterhead.
17.3.1949: Lowestoft registry closed.
11.4.1949: Registered at Peterhead as JEAN BAIRD (PD1).
1954: Sold for breaking up. Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Jean Baird PD1

S.D/T. Jean Baird PD1
Picture from the Internet

Changelog

21/09/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
18/09/2019: Updated information and added an image.