Tag Archives: Drifter/Liner

S.T. Banks o’ Dee A345 (Occasional visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall

Technical

Official Number: 109725
Yard Number: 624
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 133
Net Tonnage: 57
Length: 95.0 ft
Breadth: 20.7 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

28.2.1900: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.624) for The Moor Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hartlepool as NORTHMOOR.
4.4.1900: Registered at Hartlepool (HL59).
4.1900: Completed.
1902: Sold to W. Gartner, Hamburg.
16.8.1902: Hartlepool registry closed.
8.1902: Registered at Hamburg as St. GEORG.
30.9.1915: Captured in the North Sea by the light cruiser HMS CONQUEST of the Harwich based 5th Light Cruiser Squadron.
10.1915: Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) and on completion renamed CHURCHSIN (Ad.No.1943).
11.5.1920: Sold to John Lewis Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen.
15.7.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as BANKS O’ DEE (A345).
15.7.1920: Andrew Lewis appointed manager.
12.10.1920: Sale to Robert Masson, Thomas Masson, William Masson, Isabelle Masson, Janet Masson, John Burns and John Lewis, Aberdeen not completed.
7.1.1921: Sold to William McPherson Snr, William McPherson Jnr, John Lewis and Elizabeth Lewis, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners). Andrew Lewis appointed manager.
24.4.1926: Sold to James Brodie, Elizabeth Lewis and John Lewis, Aberdeen. Andrew Lewis appointed manager.
3.6.1929: Sir Andrew Lewis appointed manager.
31.7.1934: Sold to James Brodie, John Lewis, Aberdeen and Augustus William Strachan, Benstead, Surrey. Sir Andrew Lewis appointed manager.
1937: Sold to Metal Industries Ltd, Glasgow at Aberdeen (£450) for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.24C).
10.6.1937: Arrived Charlestown.
25.8.1937: Breaking commenced.
8.9.1937: Aberdeen registry closed “Ship broken up.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Banks O' Dee A345

S.T. Banks O’ Dee A345
Bulldog (inboard) and Banks o’ Dee

Changelog

08/04/2014: Page published. 3 updates since then.
01/02/2019: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/L. Dewy Rose FR187 (Seasonal)

Technical

Official Number: 136606
Yard Number: 414
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 46
Length: 86.3 ft
Breadth: 18.7 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles

History

4.1915: Completed by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.414) for Digby, Hunt & Shreeve Ltd, London as D.H.S.
8.4.1915: Registered at Lowestoft (LT469) (Edward T. Hunt, Lowestoft, manager).
10.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-3pdr HA) (Ad.No.1923). Based in Mediterranean, latterly at Taranto.
1919: Returned to owner (Digby, Hunt & Shreeve, Ipswich).
26.2.1926: Sold to Alexander Watt, James Watt & James Watt Jnr, Crovie, Banffshire; Robert W. Watt & James Watt, Fraserburgh; Mrs Margaret Watt, Sandhaven; James L. A. Minty, Wick (John Watt, Sandhaven, manager).
8.3.1926: Lowestoft registry closed.
6.4.1926: Registered at Fraserburgh as DEWY ROSE (FR187).
By 1934: Owner Mrs Margaret Watt, Sandhaven & Others (George Watt, Gardenstown, managing owner).
1936-39: Seasonal white fish lining from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
By 1938: Owner John & Alexander Watt, Sandhaven (John Watt, managing owner).
1940: Richard Irvin & Sons Ltd appointed managers.
2.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service on balloon barrage (Hire rate £27.0.0d/month).
27.6.1944: Declared a Total loss. Fraserburgh registry closed.
1946: Sold to Norway.
1949: Converted to motor.
1949: Remeasured 107g 32n.
1949: Sold to Johan Melbo, Ålesund, Norway. Registered at Ålesund as Vardehorn.
1956: Sold to Jon Kvalsvik, Ålesund. Registered at Ålesund as Myrnes.
1956: Re-engined with 2 stroke 4-cyl oil engine by Alpha-Diesel A/S, Frederikshavn (engine made 1951).
14.9.59: Foundered 90 miles off Dalatangi, Iceland all crew nine lost.

Changelog

29/08/2012: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.D/L. Rose Duncan SH105

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham and George Westwood

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4172
Official Number: 144801
Yard Number: 101
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.9 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Dodman & Co Ltd, King’s Lynn
Built: King’s Lynn Shipbuilding Co Ltd, King’s Lynn

History

1920: Launched by King’s Lynn Shipbuilding Co Ltd, King’s Lynn (Crichton Thompson) (Yd.No.101) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as MELODY (Ad.No.4172).
04.2.1921: Completed as a fishing vessel and transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
03.1921: Sold to A. Fyfe & J. Duthie, Aberdeen for £5,250 under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen).
12.4.1921: Registered at Aberdeen as ROSE DUNCAN (A666).
11.1922: Mortgage foreclosed. Repossessed by His Majesty, represented by the Commissioners representing the office of Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland, London.
4.11.1922: Aberdeen registry closed.
1922: Sold to James Murray, Snr, Buckie, (Alexander Murray, manager) for £2,750. Registered at Buckie (BCK122).
10.1937: Sold to Joseph Catchpole, Scarborough; George Scotter & William Sayer, Filey (Joseph Carchpole, managing owner).
10.1937: Buckie registry closed.
11.10.1937: Registered at Scarborough (SH105). Employed as a drifter and liner.
Pre 1943-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.1947: Sold to Lowestoft Herring Drifters Ltd, Lowestoft (Harold Jackson, manager).
6.1.1947: Scarborough registry closed.
8.1.1947: Registered at Lowestoft (LT273).
25.5.1949: Registered at Lowestoft as LORD DUNCAN (LT273).
7.7.1954: At Lowestoft, North Quay sunk alongside after coaling. Salved and bunkers discharged. Laid up.
10.1954: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
27.10.1954: Sailed Lowestoft for Belgium in tow of OUSE (LT572) also sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/L. Lord Duncan LT273

S.D/L. Lord Duncan LT273
Picture courtesy of The Jutter Collection

S.D/L. Lord Duncan SH105

S.D/L. Rose Duncan SH105
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog

03/12/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
29/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D. Golden View FR44

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3988
Official Number: 146481
Yard Number: 92
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Pollit & Wigzell Ltd, Sowerby Bridge
Boiler: Edwin Dank & Co Ltd, Oldbury
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad

History

18.10.1918: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (Yd.No.92) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as NODE (Ad.No.3988).
1918: Completed.
1922: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Walter Scott, manager).
16.6.1922: Registered at Hull as TIGER’S EYE (H577).
1924: Sold to William J. Allan, Grimsby (Harold A. Jeffries, manager).
24.9.1924: Hull registry closed.
26.9.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY60).
1931: Sold to James Flett, Lossiemouth (managing owner). Arthur Duthie & Co Ltd, James Smith & W. Cormack, Lossiemouth.
12.5.1931: Grimsby registry closed.
5.1931: Registered at Inverness as LOSSIE (INS125).
1934: Sold to Arthur Duthie & Co Ltd, Lossiemouth & Charles Summers, John Tait, John Hay, Robert B. Stephen & George Walker, Fraserburgh (Charles Summers, managing owner). Inverness registry closed. Registered at Fraserburgh as GOLDEN VIEW (FR44).
1937-1938: Seasonal white fish lining from Fleetwood.
Pre1939: Sold to Charles Summers & George Walker (c/o G. Walker & Sons), Fraserburgh.
10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.745) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
4.1943: Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
1945: Sold to Fred. Parkes, North Shore, Blackpool.
11.3.1946: Laid up pending return.
3.1946: Returned to owner. Laid up not restored.
1948: Sold to Robert Reid, Peterhead & Albert Johnston, Dufftown. Registered at Peterhead (PD23).
1954: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/L. Golden View PD23

S.D/L. Golden View PD23
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
21/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
22/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/Liner Doris (2) LT890

Technical

Official Number: 115038
Yard Number: 689
Completed: 1902
Gross Tonnage: 79.44
Net Tonnage: 32
Length: 80 ft
Breadth: 18.1 ft
Depth: 8.3 ft
Engine: 22HP T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

1902: Launched by Smiths Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.689) for The Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as DORIS.
5.8.1902: Registered at Lowestoft (LT890).
8.1902: Completed (George Catchpole, Kessingland, manager).
22.9.1902: Sank the dandy VENUS (68720) (YH555) in collision near Bull Light Vessel, River Humber.
1912: Sold to The Doris Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Harry Carr, manager). Employed as a liner.
11.1914: On a trip to North Channel grounds (Sk. Alex Stephens). Put into Belfast; after dispute four crew left and returned to Fleetwood by steamer.
12.11.1914: Sailed Belfast for Fleetwood with skipper and three hands. Later in W to NW gale and very heavy seas vessel observed in difficulties to the south of Portpatrick Harbour. Portpatrick lifeboat attended but crew refused assistance.
13.11.1914: Vessel ashore at Ardwell Point, The Rinns of Galloway; Sk. Stephens swam ashore to seek assistance later all three crew took to the water. Port Logan lifeboat launched and searched area but no survivors found. Vessel total loss.
26.11.1914: Body of Alexander Mitchell recovered.
2.12.1914: Body of Henry King recovered.
24.2.1915: Lowestoft registry closed.
1975: Wreck identified off Doon Castle Point in 17 fms.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Doris LT890

S.T. Doris LT890. Picture courtesy of Port of Lowestoft Research Society

S.T. Doris LT890

S.T. Doris LT890. Picture courtesy of Port of Lowestoft Research Society

S.T. Doris LT890

S.T. Doris LT890
Painting by E. J. Hurr 1909 courtesy of Lowestoft Maritime Museum

Changelog
09/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
11/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.