Tag Archives: Lost

S.T. Cradock LT591


Admiralty Number: 4472
Official Number: 139348
Yard Number: 170
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith


1.1919: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.170) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CHALMERS (Ad.No.4472).
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale.
1919: Sold to Leonard C. Cockrell, Wivenhoe.
2.5.1919: Renamed CRADOCK.
30.8.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear.
8.9.1919: Registered at Hull (H78).
17.9.1919: Hull registry closed.
22.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT591).
27.11.1919: Sold to Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Leonard C. Cockrell, manager).
19.1.1921: First landing at Milford Haven.
3.12.1923: Sold to Arthur S. Bowlby, Harlow (Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd) (Edward D. W. Lawford, Milford Haven, manager).
12.12.1928: Last landing at Milford.
24.12.1928: Sold to Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd, Dundee (William N. Taylor, manager).
1932/33: Landing occasionally at Milford.
5.1933: At Fleetwood with Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd involvement.
9.12.1933: Sold to Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Thomas S. Read, manager).
23.12.1933: Lowestoft registry closed.
15.1.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN8).
24.2.1935: At about 10.30am. when outward from North Shields for fishing grounds, in collision off the Satellite buoys, with inbound Aberdeen registered steam coaster KILDRUMMY (629grt/1924) which sustained extensive damage to shell plating starboard side forward. Returned to North Shields with damage forward and stem twisted; KILDRUMMY proceeded up the Tyne.
8.11.1941: Attacked and bombed by German aircraft, 14 miles NNE of St. Abbs Head and subsequently foundered; crew of nine away in lifeboat.
19.11.1941: North Shields registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

(William Chalmers, Master, age 35, b. Lerwick – HMS ROYAL SOVEREIGN)

20/05/2012: Page published. 10 updates since then.
03/08/2015: Information updated.
08/01/2020: Information updated.

S.T. Braconlea A227


Official Number: 137620
Yard Number: 584
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 200
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen


9.1.1920: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.584) for Charles H. George, Caister on Sea, Gt Yarmouth as DONUM MARIS.
6.8.1920: Registered at Gt. Yarmouth (YH227).
7.1920: Completed.
12.8.1920: Sold to Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John S. Doeg, manager).
14.9.1920: Yarmouth registry closed.
23.9.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as BRACONLEA (A227).
17.3.1940: In North Sea in company with AVONDEE (A826), bombed by German aircraft; no damage sustained and fire returned.
1942: Company and fleet sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
7.1945: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (R. P. Lewis, manager).
1946: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
5.10.1952: In strong gale decided to make for Mid Yell Voe, Shetland to shelter (Sk. William Summers). At entrance to Voe struck rocks at the Baas of Hascosay and immediately started to take water. Boat launched and requested assistance by radio and siren. Already at anchor in the Voe sheltering was the Aberdeen steam trawler GEORGE H. HASTIE (SN274); weighed anchor and with local boat in tow proceeded to the casualty. Crew transferred by local boats to GEORGE H. HASTIE and landed at Mid Yell.
6.19.1952: With exception of Skipper and Ch. Engineer, crew embarked in STRATHLEVEN (A47) for Aberdeen. Subsequently declared a CTL. Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Braconlea A227

S.T. Braconlea A227
Picture courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Barnsley GY125


Official Number: 106673
Yard Number: 532
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 46
Length: 104.0 ft
Breadth: 20.7 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros Ltd, North Shields


24.9.1896: Launched by Edwards Bros Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.532) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as BARNSLEY.
10.1896: Completed.
27.10.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY125).
4.1906: Transferred to The Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby. John D. Marsden designated manager on the formation of the company.
28.11.1908: Arrived Grimsby in tow of steam trawler TITAN (GY1259) disabled with broken tailshaft.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.717).
5.1915: Returned to owner.
12.1916: Sold to The Mersey Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor designated manager.
13.2.1917: Fishing 13 miles N of Inishtrahull. Stopped by U-boat (U78), Skipper and Chief Engineer taken prisoner. Sunk by explosive charges.
17.2.1917: Survivors returned to Fleetwood.
9.3.1917: Grimsby registry closed.

20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
10/08/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Albatross (1) GY279

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow


Official Number: 108460
Yard Number: 177
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 158
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 100.0 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley


6.3.1897: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.177) for Thomas Baskcomb (22/64), Henry Lewis Taylor (21/64) & Thomas William Baskcomb (21/64), Grimsby as ALBATROSS.
4.1897: Completed.
6.4.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY279).
6.4.1897: Thomas Baskcomb designated managing owner.
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George Jeffs, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 51/2% (A).
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
8.4.1898: Mortgage (B) discharged.
5.2.1899: While sheltering in Fuzleford Harbour, Faroe Islands, arrested by Danish gunboat for being in harbour with trawls not stowed. Fined £10. On leaving harbour had machinery defect and returned to harbour. Fined a further £34 with nets and gear confiscated.
3.4.1907; Mortgage (A) transferred to Thomas Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
24.2.1908: Mortgage (A) discharged.
24.4.1908: Thomas Baskcomb shares (22/64) and Henry Lewis Taylor shares (21/64) sold to Thomas William Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
25.2.1908: Thomas William Baskcomb designated managing owner.
17.3.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (C).
14.9.1910: Sold to Alick Black (60/64) and Rowland Hill (4/64), Grimsby.
15.9.1910: Alick Black designated managing owner.
15.9.1910: Mortgage (C) discharged.
5.11.1910: Rowland Hill shares (4/64) sold to Alick Black (64/64), Grimsby.
25.1.1911: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
Pre 1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 66.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
5.6.1914: Henry Croft Baker appointed manager.
27.5.1914: Mortgage (D) discharged.
28.5.1914: Sold to The Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.6.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
8.11.1915: Mortgage (E) discharged.
9.11.1915: Sold to John Lawrence Green (64/64), Grimsby.
10.11.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (F).
11.11.1915: John Lawrence Green designated managing owner.
24.9.1916: Stopped by U-boat (U57) approx 20 miles E of Flamborough Head and sunk by gunfire.
20.10.1916: Grimsby registry closed “ Vessel sunk in North Sea by German submarine on the 24.9.1916”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Albatross GY229

S.T. Albatross GY279
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
01/02/2015: Picture added.
30/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.
14/06/2019: Minor update.

S.T. Admiral GY1168

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow And Granton Trawlers


Yard Number: 209
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 188.15
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 112.7 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl by Bailey & Leetham, Hull


29.9.1897: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.209) for East Coast Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as as ADMIRAL.
19.10.1897: Registered at Hull (H376). Robert Blades designated manager.
21.10.1897: Completed.
23.5.1899: Arrested by Danish gunboat GRÖNSUND for alleged fishing in Danish territorial waters off Nyminde Gab and escorted into Esbjerg.
4.1900: Sold to West Riding Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. George William Stennet designated manager.
21.4.1900: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Stamford, Spalding and Boston Banking Co Ltd, Stamford (A).
26.4.1900: Hull registry closed.
27.4.1900: Registered at Grimsby (GY1168).
8.6.1900: Arrested by Danish fishery cruiser HEIMDAL fishing in Icelandic waters and taken into Eskifjordur. In court, Sk. Henry Harris was fined 1,000 kroner and catch and gear confiscated.
1907: Fishing from Fleetwood (Harpley C. Rowe, Fleetwood, manager).
26.9.1906: Mortgage (A) discharged.
26.9.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
5.12.1908: At Fleetwood to land but with depressed market ordered back to sea to fish Morecambe Bay and land on 7.1908. Bosun, Oscar Pluskett, given advance to buy tobacco but then declined rejoin and sail. After ship had sailed, Pluskett, who was drunk, went to the office and demanded his “trip” money and when this was declined, threw a ledger through the office window.
8.12.1908: At a special court held at Fleetwood, Oscar Pluskett was charged with disobeying orders. Pluskett stated that he had intended rejoining but whilst in the Fleetwood Arms he had injured his arm and was unfit for work. He was fined 10/- and costs to include the advocate’s fee.
18.1.1909: H. Charles Lowe, Fleetwood designated manager.
19.1.1910: Mortgage (A) discharged.
20.1.1910: Sold to Richard Watson Lewis (64/64), Aberdeen.
22.6.1910: Grimsby registry closed.
22.6.1910: Richard Watson Lewis designated managing owner.
23.6.1910: Registered at Aberdeen (A315).
1911: Sold to Kobe Sanbashi Kabushiki Kaisha, Kobe, Japan (Kobe Pier Co Ltd).
19.10.1911: Aberdeen registry closed “Sold to Foreigners”. Registered at Nishinomiya as DAIGO MARU.
1920: Sold to Hara Shin-ichi, Nishinomiya, Japan.
27.11 (7?).1924: Foundered following collision.

20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
01/09/2015: Information updated.
16/07/2016: Information updated.
18/03/2017: Added further information.
09/06/2019: Updated information.