Tag Archives: Sun ST

S.T. Tervani FD61

Technical

Official Number: 163162
Yard Number: 579
Completed: 1933
Gross Tonnage: 424
Net Tonnage: 163
Length: 154.6 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.9 ft
Engine: 111nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

21.9.1933: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.579) for Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as LORENZO.
23.10.1933: Registered at Hull (H518).
28.10.1933: Completed (Frank O. Hellyer & Owen S. Hellyer, managers).
1.1.1939: Sailed Hull for Bear Island last trip before sale (Sk. C. Hill).
13.1.1939: At Hull landed 898 kits grossed £480.
14.1.1939: Sold to Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
1.2.1939: Registered at Grimsby (GY28).
15.4.1939: Registered at Grimsby as REGAL (GY28).
9.1939: Requisitioned for war service as an anti-submarine trawler (P.No.FY.180).
10.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£22,561).
23.10.1939: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1941: At Dundee with M/S Group 77.
20.10.1945: A Control Committee was formed to manage Hull and Grimsby trawlers which had been bought by the Admiralty pre war and were being offered for sale back to their original owners. The owners who bought back these vessels and wanted to take part in the scheme agreed to register the trawlers under the Hull Ice Co. Ltd and profits were shared. Management of the trawlers was given to the companies which had bought them.
3.1946: Sold to The Hull Ice Co Ltd, Hull.
3.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY208).
16.11.1946: Sold to Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby for £1.
6.1947: Registered at Grimsby as NUBIA (GY208).
3.1948: Sold to Henriksen & Co Ltd, Hull.
6.1948: Grimsby registry closed.
18.6.1948: Registered at Hull as TERVANI (H530).
4.5.1950: Fishing off the northern Norwegian coast arrested by a Norwegian corvette for alleged illegal fishing.
5.2.1950: At court in Hammerfest, Sk. William Hastie was fined £750 with £1000 confiscation charges, for illegal trawling inside the Norwegian limits.
8.8.1956: On an Icelandic trip, J. Rice, Mate, put ashore in Iceland.
17.11.1956: Sailed Hull for Iceland last trip before sale (Sk. G. Carrick).
11.12.1956: At Hull landed 645 kits grossed £2,478.
17.12.1956: Sold to Fern Leaf Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William Newton, manager).
1957: Management transferred to Hewett Vessels Management Ltd, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD61).
18.8.1959: Sold to Sun Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
10.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
8.10.1959: Sailed Fleetwood for Bruges.
13.10.1959: Delivered Bruges.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Regal GY28

S.T. Regal GY28
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. Sea Ranger FD426

Technical

Official Number: 136214
Yard Number: 609
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 263
Net Tonnage: 103
Length: 125.2 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

25.7.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.609) for Humber Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SEA RANGER.
6.11.1914: Registered at Hull (H188).
11.11.1914: Completed (Richard H. Hobbs, manager).
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1219). Fitted as Leader. Based Peterhead. Leader Unit 42.
16.7.1915: Unit 42, at 0830 am. in position 57.20N 0.40E patrolling in a rough line to the NW in the following order SEA RANGER) (Lieut. H. J. Bray RNR), EASTWARD HO (Ad.No.1217)(H415) and CAMEO (Ad.No,1216) (H394) (Sk. Albert Sayer RNR) approximately 2 miles apart. Observed a steamer steering erratically and detached to close her to investigate. Found Norwegian steamer VAAGEN picking up lumber lost from her deck cargo. At the same time CAMEO turned southwards to examine a boat that had passed and sighted a surfaced submarine to the SW steaming towards him, turned towards submarine which fired a shot at him falling short followed by at least four other shots that also fell short. At 2000yds submarine opened fire with two guns, returned fire but hit three times in fore part of wheelhouse, smashing wheel and wounding Sk. Sayer on right side and eye by splinters. Second shot hit starboard quarter while the third shot exploded in the galley. Believed that submarine was hit two or three times at the fore end, in all 11 rounds fired by CAMEO. EASTWARD HO becoming aware of the action steered towards them and submarine ceased firing and headed away to the westward on the surface. Sighted the submarine 4 to 5 miles to the southwestwards and gave chase trying to cut her off with EASTWARD HO also in pursuit but due to superior speed the submarine escaped (See Note 1).
1916: Based Peterhead.
27.5.1916: With HMTrawlers OKU (Ad.No.1355)(CF25), RODINO (Ad.No.1230)(GY836) and KIMBERLEY (Ad.No.11)(GY167) patrolling Area B between Lat 57.10 and 57.39. At 12.30 pm. GMT observed a sail and smoke to the Northward steering Eastward; proceeded to investigate. Identified as a submarine, as per orders Unit proceeded to encircle submarine. At 12.45 pm. in position 57.10N 1.20E with OKU and RODINO , opened fire at 4000 yds, range found and one shot observed to strike submarine aft; fire returned directing shots at each trawler alternatively. Submarine after gun ceased firing engaged by forward gun but shots failing short, with periscope and part conning tower shot away and listing to port, appeared to be attempting to submerge. With OKU intended to ram but submarine headed for KIMBERLEY which made ramming impossible as submarine was was approaching within 8 ft of KIMBERLEY, broadside on with very little way on. As KIMBERLEY passed she fired three shots into the submarine at point blank range, submarine at the time being heeled over heavily to port sinking stern first. Submarine sank at once after last shot fired with a large quantity of oil on the surface. Time 1.30 pm. Unit fired 58 shots in all and submarine about 20. (See Note 2). Northern Patrol.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
4.12.1919: Sold to Fresh Fish Supplies Ltd, Hull (Thomas Nightingale, manager).
4.1923: Sold to Henry Elliott, Fleetwood (managing owner).
13.4.1923: Hull registry closed.
18.4.1923: Registered at Fleetwood (FD426).
08.07.1923: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
4.1928: Sold to The Trident Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (G. A. Ledger, manager).
18.4.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
20.4.1928: Registered at Hull as DUNGENESS (H418).
5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an anti-submarine trawler (P.No.NI) (Hire rate £70.2.8d/month).
15.11.1940: Damaged by German air attack off Hammonds Knoll, stayed afloat and beached on Haisborough Sands, Norfolk; Ty/Prob Skipper C. W. Needham RNR and crew saved. Subsequently declared a total loss.
16.1.1947: Hull registry closed.

(Note 1: Research by Peter Bell and Michael Lowery has identified the submarine as U19. In her KTB she claimed two hits on CAMEO and accurate firing from CAMEO’s 3-pdr. Sk. Sayer was awarded DSC and gunner the DSM.)

(Note 2: Despite this encounter being well recorded in the Patrol Reports, and the description of the submarine fitting a U-series torpedo attack boat, we have failed to identify the submarine. Michael Lowery has investigated with the following comment. “May 27 incident involving SEA RANGER, OKU, RODINO, and KIMBERLEY: checked the KTBs of U 24, U 32, U 43, U 44, U 46, U 47, U 51, U 52, U 63, U 66, U 67, U 70 — no luck. These are, I think, all the U-series torpedo attack boats that were at sea at that time.” Subsequently in U66 KTB is a report of intercepting a British radio message “… proceeding to fifty seven twenty seven — to assist SEA RANGER engaging submarine.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Dungeness H418

S.T. Dungeness H418
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
16/09/2015: Picture added.
30/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.

S.T. Princess Marie-José FD12

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson and David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 136234
Yard Number: 314
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 273.94
Net Tonnage: 108.64
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 22.7 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 500ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed : 10.5 knots

History

17.12.1914: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.314) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as PRINCESS MARIE-JOSÉ.
12.2.1915: Completed.
22.2.1915: Registered at Hull (H242). George Thomas Armitage designated manager. Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood.
22.2.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Union of London and Smiths Bank Ltd, London (A).
22.5.1915: Requisitioned for war service.
24.5.1915: Arrived Falmouth. Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1770). Fitted as Leader.
20.7.1915: Operating between Orkney and Shetland as a decoy trawler (Lt Cantlie RN) towing/and in company with HM S/M C.27 (Lt Cdr Dobson RN). To the east of Fair Isle, shelled by U-boat (U.23) which C-27 stalked and subsequently sank in position 58.55N 00.14W; twenty four dead, ten survivors.
30.12.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged.
23.11.1917: At Aberdeen fitted with hydrophones.
12.12.1918: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
16.12.1918: James William Armitage, Fleetwood designated manager.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
27.10.1920: President of the Prize Court awarded £170 to officers and men to share with HM S/M C.27 in respect of action in sinking U-boat (U.23).
1.4.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James William Armitage, Scarborough and Thomas ? Jackson, Hull for the sum of £4,150 with interest at 6% (B).
31.5.1923: Mortgage (B) transferred to George Thomas Armitage, Hull.
22.10.1923: Mortgage (B) discharged.
22.10.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to James William Armitage, Scarborough for the sum of £5,000 with interest at 5% (C).
11.12.1923: Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd registered office transferred to Fleetwood.
19.2.1924: Hull registry closed.
19.2.1924: Registered at Fleetwood (FD12). James William Armitage, Scarborough designated manager.
7.1934: Sold to John C. Robertson (44/64) & David Wood (20/64), Aberdeen. John C. Robertson designated managing owner.
27.8.1934: Registered at Aberdeen as FEUGHSIDE (A114).
6.10.1939: Sold to Loch Fishing Co of Hull Ltd (64/64), Hull.
7.10.1939: Sailed Hull for Faroe, first trip for new owner (Sk. T. Mason).
24.10.1939: At Hull landed 307 kits £453 gross.
2.11.1939: Aberdeen registry closed.
6.11.1939: Registered at Hull (H220).
6.11.1939: Henry Wight designated managing owner.
29.11.1939: Registered at Hull as LOCH HOPE (H220) (MofS minute RG1421/39 dated 21.12.1939).
11.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (P.No.4.97) (Hire rate £85.10.0d/month).
10.8.1945: Sold to A. & M. Smith Ltd, Aberdeen.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
11.6.1947: Foundered off east coast of Iceland when a mine caught in the trawl exploded. One man died and seventeen survivors (including eight injured) picked up by trawler URKA (FD289) and landed at Seydisfjordur. Three injured too poorly to be moved, remaining five flown to hospital in Reykjavik. Thirteen crew returned to Hull in the Icelandic trawler JUPITER (RE61).
28.8.1947: Hull registry closed “ Vessel lost off Iceland 11th June 1947.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Princess Marie-Jose FD12

S.T. Princess Marie-Jose FD12
Picture from the Internet

HMT Loch Hope

HMT Loch Hope
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/03/2015: Picture added.
28/09/2018: Information updated. Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Princess Louise FD365

Stranding information courtesy of Laurence H Dettman

Technical

Official Number: 121084
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 133.3 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 70nhp T.3-cyl by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots

History

31.8.1905: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.83) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE.
19.10.1905: Registered at Hull (H837).
10.1905: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
27.1.1909: In thick fog in the Humber estuary in collision with the steamer WHITBY ABBEY and both vessels damaged.
15.11.1913: Sailed Hull for White Sea grounds off the coast of Lapland (Sk. Hermann Dettman) (2nd hand George Henry Batty); twelve crew total.
23.12.1913: Left fishing grounds off Sem Islands for home picking up a Norway coast pilot at Honningsvåg.
25.12.1913: Called Gibostad to obtain medical assistance for the skipper suffering from an acute bowel disorder.
27.12.1913: Arrived Lødingen and dropped pilot setting course for Vest Fjord. When in vicinity of Lødingen Light shortly after 4.30am. the skipper was again indisposed and had to leave the wheelhouse telling the second hand the course to steer. On his return there was an exchange concerning the course and shortly afterwards the vessel struck heavily amidships and again aft and heeled to starboard and came fast. Endeavoured to free the vessel by working the engines but ingress of water into the stokehold was rapid; fires were drawn. Crew abandoned and vessel settled by the stern. Picked up by Norwegian coastal steamer and landed at Svolvaer. Skipper and Chief Engineer proceeded to Lødingen and took passage in the salvage steamer that was to attend the wreck which was lying in 10fms to the west of Root Var with some chance of salvage. Crew returned to Hull via Bergen.
6.3.1914: Hull registry closed “Vessel lost”. *
30.9.1914: Having been salved and returned to Hull, repaired and re-registered at Hull (H140).
3.11.1914: Returned to service and transferred to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, Hull, manager).
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1176).
14.5.1915: Registered at Hull as PRINCESS LOUISE II (H140). Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood (managing owner).
15.1.1920: Hull registry closed.
16.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD365).
2.6.1921: Sold to James W. Armitage, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1.9.1922: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (James W. Armitage, manager).
1926: Sold to Cie Belge de Pecheries Maritimes, Ostend.
1926: Re measured (Belgian Rules) 277g 100n 133.6 feet
5.8.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
3.1926: Registered at Ostend as PASTOOR PYPE (O176).
1929: Sold to Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
11.1929: Ostend registry closed.
1929: Re measured (BoT) 289g 115n 133.6 feet.
18.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD58).
28.11.1929: Registered at Fleetwood as DANELAND (FD58).
1935: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
8.2.1935: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
Pre 8.1938: Laid up at Fleetwood.
6.4.1941: Sunk by German aircraft 30 miles N by 1/2 W of Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim; twelve crew rescued.
6.6.1941: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by enemy aircraft 6/4/41”.

(Note* – Following BoT Inquiry at Hull the findings were published on 24.3.1914 concluding that;
“The stranding of, and serious damage to, the steam trawler Princess Louis was caused by the wrongful act and default of the skipper and of the second hand. As the skipper on the early morning in question was suffering for very severe indisposition, as he bears an exceptionally good character and as he gave his evidence with absolute straightforwardness the Court suspends his ticket (No.6483) for three months only from the date herof. The Court suspends the certificate (No.10696) of the second hand, who in his evidence displayed both ignorance and indifference and did not adequately assist the skipper, at a time when he most needed it, for a like period.”)

BOT Stranding Report

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Daneland FD58

S.T. Daneland FD58
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Princess Louise H837

S.T. Princess Louise H837
Picture courtesy of the James Cullen Collection

Changelog
12/04/2014: Picture added.
08/10/2014: Picture added.
21/09/2015: Stranding information added.
04/11/2015: Posted BOT stranding report.
19/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Phoebe FD121

Technical

Official Number: 124692
Yard Number: ?
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 278
Net Tonnage: 99
Length: 130.9 ft
Breadth: 22.8 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co Ltd, Wallsend-on-Tyne
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole

History

13.7.1907: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.) for Louis Cohen (64/64), Norbreck as PHOEBE.
3.9.1907: Mortgaged to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
10.9.1907: Completed and registered at Fleetwood (FD121).
20.6.1912: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.6.1912: Sold to Phoebe Hoyle (64/64), Halifax.
22.6.1912: Sold to George E. J. Moody (64/64), Grimsby.
24.6.1912: George E. J. Moody appointed managing owner.
26.6.1912: Sold to The Lancashire Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
12.7.1912: James A. Robertson appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 108.58 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.10.1916: Sold to The Sun Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (James W. Armitage, Fleetwood, manager).
1916: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1234); complement increased by two gunners.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 12pdr gun (No.6684).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed PHOEBE III (FD121).
1919: Released and reverted to PHOEBE (FD121).
9.1919: Sold to Bachao, Neunes & Machado Ltd, Lisbon.
26.9.1919: Sale approved by BoT.
17.10.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.1919: Registered at Lisbon as CINTRA.
1930: Sold to Corporacâo de Pilotos do Rio e Barra de Lisboa, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as PAIVA CURADO.
1939: Sold to Sociedade de Pesca à Vapor “O Exportador” Ltda, Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as EXPORTADOR SEGUNDO.
1.11.1954: Reported position between Cap Jurby and Cap Blanc.
5.11.1954: Failed to arrive at Lisbon: overdue from this date, twenty-three crew missing presumed lost.

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.