Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S.D/T. Oceanbreeze LT343 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers

Technical

Official Number: 149200
Yard Number: 563
Completed: 1927
Gross Tonnage: 112
Net Tonnage: 48
Length: 90.6 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 9.6 ft
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth

History

16.7.1927: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.563) for Allan Haward Watson, Lowestoft as OCEANBREEZE. Towed to Gt. Yarmouth to have machinery installed.
20.9.1927: Ran trials.
21.9.1927: Registered at Lowestoft (LT343). Allan Haward Watson designated managing owner.
9.1927: Completed and valued at £4.500. 1928/1930s: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood. John Victor Breach, Lowestoft, managing agent.
5.7.1928: At Fleetwood landed 40 boxes.
5.5.1932: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft. Alan H. Watson designated manager.
4.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on contraband control (Hire rate £49.0.0d/month).
26.5.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ – the evacuation of Dunkirk put into effect.
31.5.1940: At 0440 arrived Ramsgate with 109 troops ex Dunkirk.
1.6.1940: At 0545 arrived Ramsgate with 35 troops ferried by Thames launch LANSDOWNE at St Malo. Other troops taken to Dutch coaster ATLANTIC (221grt/1930)(RN manned).
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
9.1940: Employed as a boom drifter.
1.1942: At Lowestoft as LL sweep drifter.
11.6.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Fitted out as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY810).
8.1943: Transferred to War Department.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed “Registry no longer required”.
20.9.1947: Sold to Arthur Claude Mitchell, Milford Haven.
1947: Registered at Lowestoft (LT341). Arthur Claude Mitchell designated managing owner.
15.11.1948: At Lowestoft landed 256 crans of herring.
12.1.1952: At Milford landed 176 crans of herring (400 kits) grossed £1,735.
20.10.1952: At Lowestoft landed 120 crans of herring.
6.1.1958: Converted to motor by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft, fitted with 330bhp 4 stroke 6VEBM oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
1958: Re measured 118g 49n.
6.1958: Sold to Jack Arthur Mitchell (32/64) & Sk. Charles Noel Bray (32/64), Milford Haven. Jack Arthur Mitchell designated managing owner.
28.5.1958: Returned to Milford from conversion to diesel and fished her way back, catch grossed £511.
20.12.1961: Sold to Jackora Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven. H. C. Mills designated manager.
20.8.1968: Motor trawler LORD KEITH (LT181) developed engine trouble while fishing E of Blackwater Light Vessel, Co. Wexford but managed to reach Rosslare Bay. Connected and commenced tow to Milford.
23.5.1970: Registered office transferred to Lowestoft. Vessel on offshore platform standby and safety duty.
1974: Sold to Greek owners.
14.1.1975: Lowestoft registry closed.
9.3.1975: Sailed Lowestoft in company with motor drifter trawlers WILSON LINE (YH105) and LORD KEITH (LT181) for Mediterranean with stated intention of converting them to refrigerated stern trawlers.
27.2.1978: Owner stated as Theolus Iosifides, Halkis, Greece.
1988: Deleted from registers continued existence in doubt.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Oceanbreeze LT341

S.D/T. Oceanbreeze LT341
Picture courtesy of The Trevor Snowling Collection

S.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT343

S.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT343
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT341

S.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT341
Picture courtesy of The John Stevenson Collection

S.D/T. Oceanbreeze LT341

S.D/T. Oceanbreeze LT341
Picture from the Internet

M.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT341

M.D/T. Ocean Breeze LT341
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
16/07/2013: Page published. 9 changes since then.
19/07/2016: Image added.
13/02/2017: Image added.
26/02/2017: Image added.
24/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
11/05/2019: Added information.

S.T. Salvini GY70

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 138995
Yard Number: 337
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 226
Not Tonnage: 109
Length: 117.0 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 460ihp T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

9.12.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.337) for Alick Black (64/64), Grimsby as SALVINI.
4.4.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY892).
4.4.1916: Alick Black designated managing owner.
6.6.1916: Completed. Requisitioned from the builders and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3283).
14.12.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smiths Bank Ltd, London (A).
1.2.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
5.2.1917: Sold to Rowland Hill (64/64), Grimsby.
5.2.1917: Walter Harold Buley appointed manager.
5.2.1917: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (B). Based Portland.
19.2.1918: Mortgage (B) discharged.
20.2.1918: Sold to Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
22.2.1918: William Richard Nowell appointed manager.
2.3.1918: Grimsby registry closed.
20.2.1918: Registered at Hull (H593).
7.2.1919: Sold to James Coombes (64/64), Grimsby. James Coombes designated managing owner.
17.2.1919: Hull registry closed.
20.2.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY70).
15.2.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (C).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner.
15.2.1924: Mortgagee restyled National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
4.6.1925: Mortgage (C) discharged.
4.6.1925: Sold to The South Western Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
5.6.1925: Sir Alec Black, Bart appointed manager.
2.11.1925: Sold to The Earl Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
7.11.1925: Sir Alec Black, Bart appointed manager.
11.11.1930: Arrived Grimsby with serious damage to port side having been in collision with Granton steam trawler THOMAS L. DEVLIN (GN58), 250 miles off May Island, Firth of Forth.
19.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service on the balloon barrage (P.No.4.457); hire rate £64.0.8d per month.
15.12.1940: Sold to Sir Alec Black, Bart (64/64), Grimsby. Sir Alec Black, Bart designated managing owner.
38.6.1942: Sir Alec Black, Bart died.
16.1.1943: Probate granted to The Public Trustee, London and John Edgar Harrison, Grimsby (64/64 joint owners).
3.2.1943: John Edgar Harrison appointed manager.
8.2.1943: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London.
10.2.1943: William Alfred Bennett, Sanderstead appointed manager.
4.1944: Fitted out as a smoke making (Esso) trawler and assigned to Operation Neptune – Normandy landings.
8.6.1944: Sailed Thames for Bracklesham Bay.
9.6.1944: Arrived Mulberry B with Group B1. Employed smoke making with replenishment at Southampton.
3.7.1944: Operation Neptune ended. Employed on miscellaneous naval duties.
21.11.1944: Returned to owner.
7.11.1945: Sold to Western Trawlers Ltd (64/64) Fleetwood.
10.11.1945: Harvey Wilfred Wilson, Grimsby appointed manager.
22.6.1947: Sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
24.6.1947: Fred Bannister appointed manager.
11.1959: Sold to A.C. Slooten Handelsonderneming, Wormer and broken up.
19.11.1959: Grimsby registry closed “… on sale of vessel to foreigners (Dutch subjects)”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Salvini GY701

S.T. Salvini GY701
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
10/07/2013: Page published. 3 updates since then.
16/07/2015: Picture added.
24/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
30/07/2021: Updated history.

S.T. Gelsina (1) GY869

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 138946
Yard Number: 327
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 226.27
Net Tonnage: 108.88
Length: 117.0 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 450ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

12.10.1915: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.327) for Walter Olney (64/64), Fleetwood.
7.2.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY869).
7.2.1916: Alick Black, Grimsby designated manager.
18.2.1916: Completed.
2.1916: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr HA) (Ad.No.3258).
25.6.1917: Mined off Girdle Ness and foundered in position 57.07N 01.58W . Mine laid by U.boat (UC40). Four men lost*.
16.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Ship lost on Admiralty service 25.6.17”.
Lost * Peter Brown, 2nd Hand, John D. Meldrum & Henry Neslen, Deckhands, George S. Buchan & Alexander H. Clark, Trimmers all RNR

Changelog
04/12/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
28/10/2020: Updated technical details.

S.T. Nacre A280

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Douglas Paterson

Technical

Official Number: 127142
Yard Number: 444
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 199.11
Net Tonnage: 55
Length: 113.2 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 400ihp T-3-cyl and boiler by Hall Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

18.12.1907: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.444) for Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STRATHLUI.
16.1.1908: Registered at Aberdeen (A191). John Brown appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 77.26 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service.
2.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer)(Ad.No.1578). Based Buncrana, Co Donegal.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
11.1.1919: Sold to Thomas Leishman Devlin (64/64), Leith (managing owner).
1.2.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
5.2.1919: Registered at Granton (GN2).
28.2.1919: Thomas Devlin died. Transferred to trustees, Thomas L. Devlin, Robert D. Devlin, Grace Darney Devlin, Granton, John Inglis, Peebles & Aexander Stewart, Edinburgh (64/64 jointly).
17.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to John Inglis, Peebles (A). Thomas L. Devlin & Robert D. Devlin appointed managers.
8.2.1923: Mortgage (A) discharged.
5.7.1923: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Sons (64/64), Granton. Thomas L. Devlin & Robert D. Devlin appointed managers.
11.11.1926: Robert D. Devlin died. Thomas L. Devlin Jnr became managing owner (64/64).
1927: Sold to Alexander James Spence & John Gore (64/64 joint owners), Aberdeen.
20.10.1927: Granton registry closed.
25.10.1927: Registered at Aberdeen (A280).
16.4.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as NACRE (A280) (BoT Minute M/R.G.1098/1928 dated 17.3.1928).
27.9.1933: Sold to Gorspen Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. Alexander James Spence appointed manager.
2.3.1937: Sold to Alexander Aitken Davidson (64/64), Aberdeen (managing owner).
27.11.1940: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd (64/64), London (William A. Bennett, manager). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
30.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 259 kits – hake-35, haddock-136, flats-52, ling/coley-36.
12.1.1944: Sold to Aldred Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
20.1.1944: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
24.5.1944: Registered office transferred to Fleetwood.
27.11.1946: Harry Markham Cook, Grimsby appointed manager.
25.11.1946: Aberdeen registry closed.
29.11.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY411).
7.12.1946: Registered office transferred to Grimsby.
1.5.1948: Mortgage (B) discharged.
10.5.1948: Sold to Associated Trawlers (Gt Yarmouth) Ltd (64/64), Gt. Yarmouth. Fishing Faroe grounds.
18.5.1948: Arthur Edward Bewley, Gorleston appointed manager.
31.5.1948: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
6.1.1949: Mortgage (C) discharged.
20.1.1949: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (D).
26.6.1950: Mortgage (D) discharged.
1950: Sold to Metal Industries (Salvage) Ltd and allocated to Charlestown for breaking up (Contract No.9D).
11.1950: Delivered Charlestown.
2.1.1951: Breaking up commenced.
6.1.1951: Grimsby registry closed “Ship broken up”.

Changelog
03/07/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
19/06/2021: Updated history and technical details.

S.T. Katwijk II KW134 (Wartime visitor)

Information courtesy of Jan Harteveld and Maurice Voss

Technical

Official Number: Unknown
Yard Number: 232
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 35,38m (116.1 ft)
Breadth: 7,70m (22.0 ft)
Depth: 3,50m (11.5 ft)
Built: G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde
Engine: T-3-cyl by G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde

History

1905: Launched by G. Seebeck A.G., Geestmünde (Yd.No.232) for Hochsee Fischdampfer GmbH, Hamburg as GUSTAV PLATZMANN.
1905: Registered at Hamburg (HH23).
1908: Registered at Hamburg as SEENEIKE (HH23).
1908: Sold to Hochseefischerei A.G., Cuxhaven. Hamburg registry closed. Registered at Cuxhaven as Senator O’SWALD (HC6).
1914-1918: Requisitioned by the Imperial German Navy.
10.1918: Abandoned at Zeebruge during the German evacuation. Taken over by the Belgian State (Administration de la Marine), Brussels. Cuxhaven registry closed. Registered at Antwerp as YSER.
1920: Converted to a pilot boat and registered at Antwerp as LOODSBOOT 3.
1933: Sold to Gebroeders Taat, Katwijk, Holland. Renamed ANTWERP 3 and laid up at IJmuiden.
2.1942: Vessel made ready for fishing. Registered at Katwijk as KATWIJK II (KW134).
8.4.1942: At sea eleven crew, vessel taken over by a resistance group – eight men, and skipper forced to set course for England. On arrival directed to Fleetwood.
1940s: Fishing out of Fleetwood. Bloomfields Ltd,Fleetwood managing agents.
22.7.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 683 kits – hake-478, cod-4, flats-27, ling/coley-150, roker-15, gurnard-9.
8.1945: Returned to Holland and fishing.
Late 1949: Laid up.
1951: Sold to Frans Rijsdrik, Hendrik Ido Ambacht for breaking up. Katwijk registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Katwijk II KW134

S.T. Loodsboot 3
Picture courtesy of The Maurice Voss Collection

Changelog

29/04/2013: Page published. 9 updates since then.
19/01/201: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
13/03/2021: Updated history.