Tag Archives: Dandy

s.v. Acceptor FD45

Additional material by Ian Wilson

Technical

Official Number: 29810
Completed: 1861
Gross Tonnage: 49
Net Tonnage: 49
Length: 71.2
Breadth: 18.1
Depth: 8.5 feet
Rig: Dandy
Built: Smith & Stephenson, Grimsby

History

11.1861: Completed by Smith & Stephenson, Grimsby for Robert Roberts, 12 Worsley Buildings, Grimsby (R. Turner, skipper). Registered at Grimsby (GY98).
3.1869: Re-registered at Grimsby (GY72).
1870: Rebuilt.
11.1883: Sold to Joseph E. Horne, 20 Stanley Street, New Clee (P. Carter, skipper).
3.1888: Sold to F. W. Moody, Grimsby (G. Beacher, skipper).
10.1988: Sold to Charles H. Saunby, 32 Victoria Street, Fleetwood (managing owner). Grimsby registry closed. Registered on the Shipping Register at Fleetwood (FD45). Employed as a trading ketch.
1.1.1892: Owned by John D. Gibson, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1894: Sold to Mrs Mary J. Conley, Belfast.
1.1.1895: Owned by Alexander Hull, 34 Nelson Street, Belfast (managing owner).
6.1899: Wrecked Bunbeg River, Co. Donegal (J. Bailie, Master) having loaded bog ore at Bunbeg for Port Dundas. Master and two crew rescued.
1899: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
18/02/2009: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
20/10/2014: PLN added.

sv Louie Rigby FD127

Captain Cap information courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesné

Technical

Official Number: 127580
Completed: 1910
Net Tonnage: 23
Length: 76 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling
Built: J & J Armour, Fleetwood

History

1910: Completed by Armour Bros, Fleetwood for Thomas Rigby, Adelaide Street, Fleetwood & others as LOUIE RIGBY.
26.11.1910: Registered at Fleetwood (FD127).
1911: Sold to William Preston, Adelaide St, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1921: Sold to Mrs Grace A. E. Cookman, Carbery Lodge, Ascot, Berks (John G. Cookman, manager).
7.1921: Transferred to fish from Milford.
18.6.1923: On Southern Irish coast grounds, stood by Milford smack MINNIE (BM90) (51grt/1904)(Sk.Willard Richards), on fire in hold. Fire could not be contained. MINNIE attempted to run on to the Blackwater Bank off Wexford. Abandoned and crew picked up, vessel foundered shortly afterwards.
9.1923: Dismasted and in distress in heavy seas. Attended by Fleetwood steam trawler SOAR (FD155), connected and towed (18 hours) to Milford Haven.
1929: Same.
5.9.1930: Fleetwood registry closed. No longer fishing.
1935: Sold for conversion to a yacht.
1958: Further converted and renamed CAPTAIN CAP.
1962: Owned by Alain Bombard. Prepared for scientific expedition to the Mediterrenian – Sicily.
1970: Picked up abandoned schooner off Florida coast, towed for 72 hours and delivered safely.
6.1973: Advertised for sale in West Indies.
1975-76: Sold to D. Valin, Fort de France. Martinique for £129,365. Sailed from Grenada to Martinique. Operated by Martinique Charter et Services, Fort de France on day charters- 60 pax.
8.1979: In hurricane David grounded on coral in Fort de France Bay. Refloated by Travaux Sous-Marins Martinique (Jean-Paul Chesné) and returned to service.
8.1980: In hurricane Allen grounded on beach in Fort de France Bay. Refloated by Travaux Sous-Marins Martinique (Jean-Paul Chesné) with no damage.
1980: Sold to Travaux Sous-Marine Martinique, Fort de France, Martinique. After survey by French Marine Marchande (FMM) continued with day charter work.
1982: FMM surveyor required complete re-decking; completed in two weeks.
1983: FMM srveyor required new rudder; fabricated in steel.
1984: After four years charter work (10,000 pax/year) vessel for sale. Sold to French owners owners in Grenada.
1986-87: Foundered after striking a reef in The Grenadines.
Click to enlarge images

Sailing Trawler Louie Rigby

Sailing Trawler Louie Rigby
Picture courtesy of rossallbeach.co.uk

sv Louie Rigby FD127

sv Louie Rigby FD127

sv Captain Cap, 1982 Martinique

sv Captain Cap, 1982 Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Captain Cap at Martinique

sv Captain Cap at Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Captain Cap, Martinique

Captain Cap, Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Captain Cap, Martinique

Captain Cap, Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Captain Cap, Martinique

Captain Cap, Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Captain Cap, Martinique

Captain Cap, Martinique
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Jean-Paul & Annie Chesne

Jean-Paul & Annie Chesne
Picture courtesy of Jean-Paul and Annie Chesne

Changelog
18/02/2009: Page published: 8 updates since then.
29/05/2016: Picture added.

s.v. Lily FD20

Technical

Official Number: 90382
Launched: 1879
Gross Tonnage: 42
Net Tonnage: 24
Length: 63.5 ft
Breadth: 17.4 ft
Depth: 8.3 ft
Rig: Dandy
Built: St. Malo

History

Dandy – trawling

1879: Completed by ??, St. Malo as PÊCHERIES FRANCAISES No.38.
11.1884: Sold to G. P. Walford, Grimsby.
11.1884: Registered at Grimsby as LILY (GY973).
7.1885: Sold to Great Grimsby Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
5.1888: Sold to George Maskell, 25 London Street, Fleetwood (managing owner).
7.1888: Grimsby registry closed.
2.10.1888: Registered at Fleetwood (FD20).
4.12.1905: Sold to Jonathan Watson Grisdale, Hoylake.
1908: Sold to William Beck, Ferndale Rd, Hoylake.
28.4.1908: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Liverpool.
1914: Sold to Joseph R. Beck, 15 Lake Rd, Hoylake (managing owner).
1917: Not in MNL.

Changelog
18/02/2009: Page published.

s.v. Red Rose FD99

Additional information courtesy of Martin Pember and Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 89708
Completed: 1893
Gross Tonnage: 72
Net tonnage: 56
Length: 67.2 ft
Breadth: 18.8 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Rig: Dandy – trawling
Built: Thos Watson – Peel Place, IoM

History

1893: Completed by ??, Peel, IoM, for Miss B. Rostron, 90 Withnell Road, South Shore, Blackpool as RED ROSE.
10.1.1893: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
31.7.1993: Advertised for hire, by day or week; accommodation for eight persons; fishing gear found.
22.12.1894: In severe weather conditions off St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, with sails blown away. Picked up by Barrow registered iron steamer ARIADNE (292grt/1856) (Capt. John Jackson) which was standing by the Morecambe Bay lightship which had broken from her moorings and awaiting tug FYLDE (217grt/1881).
23.12.1894: Delivered Fleetwood.
20.5.1895: Reported that when returning home in a moderate gale, with squalls, came upon dandy MILO (FD19) with mainmast broken. Connected and delivered Fleetwood.
6.11.1896: Sold to Richard Ashcroft, 54 North Albert St, Fleetwood & others (Richard Ashcroft, managing owner).
23.10.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
19.4.1911: In difficulties near North Wharf. Tug CLEVELEYS (292grt/1902) responded and brought safely into Fleetwood.
11.5.1913: Re-measured and tonnage altered to 57.43gross 24.42net.
4.6.1913: New Fishing Certificate issued.
1915: Same.
1917: Sold to Ernest Tomlinson, London Street, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, Knowsley Villas, Victoria Road, Thornton-le-Fylde, manager).
26.5.1920: Sold to George Frank Dunston, 36 Avondale Road, Southport.
13.9.1920: Sold to Herbert Pritchard, 88 Gidlow Road South, Stanley, Liverpool.
1921: Sold to Henry George Prior, 19 Bookham Road, Lowestoft.
5.2.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
7.2.1921: Registered at Lowestoft as SHRUBLANDS (LT1223).
10.9.1930: Lowestoft registry closed “Broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess

Picture courtesy of Fred Bettess

Shrublands

Shrublands LT1223
Picture courtesy of Martin Pember

17/02/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
31/12/2015: Added information.
03/02/2016: Minor information update.

s.v. James Campbell FD157

Technical

Official Number: 83534
Completed: 1880
Net Tonnage: 62
Length: 65.3 ft
Breadth: 19.2 ft
Depth: 9.85 ft
Rig: Dandy
Built: T. Campbell, Grimsby

history

Dandy – trawling (ex lining)

1880: Completed by T. Campbell, Grimsby for James H. M. Fryman, Oxford Street, Grimsby as JAMES CAMPBELL.
11.1880: Registered at Grimsby (GY792).
14.10.1889: Sold to Thomas Campbell, Abbey Villa, Grimsby (managing owner).
2.1897: Abandoned to Germans for salvage services.
4.11.1898: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
8.2.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Sold to Denmark. Registered at Esbjerg as IDA.

Changelog

31/01/2009: Page published.