Tag Archives: Alex Keay

S.D/L. Summer Rose PD594

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4185
Official Number: 145542
Yard Number: 357
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 96
Length: 86.5 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3cyl by William Beardmore & Co Ltd, Dalmuir
Built: Isaac Pimblott & Sons Ltd, Northwich

History

1919: Launched by Isaac Pimblott & Sons Ltd, Northwich (Yd.No.357) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as STERN WAVE (Ad.No.4185).
27.3.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
25.8.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1921: Sold A. Wares & C. Cluness, Newhaven, Edinburgh.
1922: Registered at Leith as CRAIGLEITH (LH255).
1922: Sold to Scottish Steam Herring Fishing Co Ltd, Peterhead (John Sutherland, manager).
1922: Registered at Peterhead as SUMMER ROSE (PD594).
1930 – 1936: Trawling out of Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
Pre 1937 sold to Scottish Steam Herring Fishing Co Ltd, Peterhead & Others.
1937-1939: Occasional landings at Fleetwood when white fish lining (Alex Keay, managing agent).
1.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month). Based North Shields (Ty/Sk. W. Howes RNR).
13.10.1940: Mined off Sunderland. Two crew lost.
1940: Peterhead registry closed.
(Lost: James Southern, Engineman; Frank Paget, Stoker.)

Changelog

24/92/2010: Page published. 5 updates since then.

S.D/T. Eunice and Nellie BCK118 (Seasonal)

Technical

Official Number: 145859
Yard Number: 555
Completed: 1918
Gross tonnage: 96
Net tonnage: 38
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.25 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.555) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as FROTH (Ad.No.3978).
25.10.1918: Completed as a minesweeper.
1920: Transferred to Board of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for disposal.
1921: Sold to Herbert Pritchard, Liverpool. Registered at Liverpool as FLORENCE PRITCHARD (LL120).
1923: Sold to T. W. Dixon, Whitehaven.
1923: Sold to George Rogers, Douglas, IoM (managing owner). Liverpool registry closed. Registered at Douglas as MANX PRINCESS (DO91).
1932: Sold to John Murray, Buckie, E. Murray, Findochty & J. R. E. Logie, Buckie (John Murray, managing owner). Registered at Buckie (BCK118).
1933: Douglas registry closed. Registered at Buckie as EUNICE AND NELLIE (BCK118).
1935-39: Trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
5.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY1543) (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month).
3.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (TRV).
11.1944: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Alexander Reid, Dorothea Thomson & Others, Peterhead. Buckie registry closed. Registered at Peterhead (PD309).
1947: Sold to Drifters (Peterhead) Ltd, Peterhead (G. G. Strachan & Others & Caledonian Fishselling Co Ltd)(R. Foreman, manager).
1954 (17.12.1952): Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Eunice & Nellie BCK118

S.D/T. Eunice & Nellie BCK118
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.T. Eunice and Nellie PD309

S.D/T. Eunice and Nellie PD309
Picture © The Barry Banham Photo Collection

Changelog
26/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
18/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/T. Coriedoune – BCK417

Technical

Official Number: 120370
Yard Number: 345
Completed:: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 91
Net Tonnage: 45
Length: 82.1 ft
Breadth: 18.4 ft
Depth: 8.6 ft
Engine: C.2-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

1907: Completed by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.345) for Smith’s Dock & Trust Co Ltd, North Shields (Archbald Miller, Gt Yarmouth, manager) as TWO.
6.6.1907: Registered at Yarmouth (YH211).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (Ad.No.1049).
29.7.1920: Sold to West Country Fishing & Curing Syndicate Ltd, Falmouth (John A. Collett, London, manager).
17.5.1921: Sold to Fish Traders Ltd, London (Andrew Robertson, Aberdeen, manager).
12.1922: Sold to James, John & William Smith & J. Farquhar, Portessie, Buckie (William Smith managing owner).
1.1.1923: Yarmouth registry closed.
1.1923: Registered at Buckie as CORIEDOUNE (BCK417).
1926: John Farquhar, Buckie managing owner.
1935: Sold to Alex Keay, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1949: Sold to Joseph Duthie, Fraserburgh.
29.7.1949: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR481).
2.8.1949: Condemned. Fraserburgh registry closed. Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.D. Coriedoune BCK417

S.D. Coriedoune BCK417
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Dewsland FD64

Technical

Official Number: 127405
Yard Number: 421
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 236
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 70HP T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son, Selby

History

24.9.1907: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.421) for William Jenkins & Isaac J. Jenkins, Milford Haven and James Hier, Neyland as DEWSLAND.
19.11.1907: Completed.
28.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M220) (William Jenkins managing owner).
11.12.1913: Manouvering in dock at Milford damaged stern, bulwarks and mizzen boom.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.2664).
2.6.1915 Off Scilly Isles, picked up ten crew members of DELTA B (O171) sunk by U34 and landed them at St. Mary’s.
1919: Returned to owner.
10.4.1919: Sold to Maurice Wilkins & George Moreland, Manchester (c/o Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood, manager).
1.1921: Transferred to Aberdeen (Sam Isaacs (Aberdeen) Ltd, managers) on charter to Bookless Brothers, Aberdeen to operate from Hafnarfjordur, Iceland, ‘salting’.
6.1921: Returned.
15.3.1923: Sold to Gerald Kelton, Dunsfold, Surrey (William F. Goodwin, Grimsby, manager).
11.1925: Sold to John Wm. A. Potts & Lars J. Larsen, Fleetwood (trading as Ples Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager)).
6.11.1925: Milford registry closed.
9.11.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD64).
12.2.1927: In dense fog stranded in Wyre channel.
1928: Trading as Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
27.10.1933: Fishing off Tiree on hauling in gale force winds trawl became entangled with propeller. Put in to Oban.
28.10.1933: Divers cleared propeller. Sailed Oban but shortly afterwards steam pipe fractured and returned to Oban for repair.
16.11.1933: Sold to Stanley Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Rochdale (James Brierley, Rochdale, manager).
31.3.1937: Sold to G. Rollinson & Co Ltd, Manchester.
31.3.1937: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood.
31.1.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £6500.
13.6.1944: Sold to Hull Merchants Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull for £12000.
5.7.1944: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.7.1944: Registered at Hull (H84).
24.12.1945: Registered at Hull as DERNA (H84).
24.11.1947: Sold to East African Fisheries Ltd, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanganyika Territory (Charles C. Johnston, London, agent).
29.6.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
29.06.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
22.8.1951: Sold to Lamer Line Ltd. Mombasa (Harold G. Lewis, manager). Used as cargo vessel between Mombasa and Tanga.
22.7.1954: Grounded on Niule Reef outside Tanga with cargo of petrol in cans.
27.8.1954: Salved and towed into Tanga for discharge.
30.8.1954: Towed to Mombasa.
14.9.1954: Sank at moorings at Mtongwe, Mombasa. No salvage attempted and abandoned.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dewsland FD64

S.T. Dewsland FD64
Picture courtesy of RossallBeach

S.T. Dewsland FD64 as Derna

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of Ally (shipsnostalgia)

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
09/09/2014: Fourth picture added.
10/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Louise SA50

Technical

Official Number: 124720
Yard Number: 353
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Smiths Dock Co. Ltd, North Shields, 1907
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields

History

23.7.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.353) for Crawford Heron, Swansea as the LOUISE.
8.1907: Completed. Registered at Swansea (SA50).
3.9.1907: Registered owners, Mrs Marion L. Ryde, Godalming & Colonel Arthur T. Sloggett, Paignton (Crawford Heron, Swansea, manager).
13.3.1913: Sold to George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven (managing owner).
4.6.1913: Mortgaged to Henry H. Hextall. Eastbourne (A).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service.
6.1.1915: Commissioned (Ad.No.144).
22.1.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-6pdr). Fitted as Leader. Admiralty Number became (Ad.No.965).
16.5.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
25.5.1917: Sold to Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, manager).
25.5.1917: Mortgaged to The London Joint City & Midland Bank, London (B).
31.3.1919: Swansea registry closed.
1.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD120). Based Granton.
1920: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1920: Sold to M.J. vander Eb & Dresselhuys, Scheepvaart Maats, Rotterdam (J. Nierinck, Ostend, manager).
3.2.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
2.1920: Registered at Ostend as BARON L DONNY (O203).
5.10.1922: Sold to Jules H. Nierinck, Blackpool (managing owner).
5.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ALEC NIERINCK (FD414).
1925: Sold to Melling Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Melling, manager).
15.9.1925: Registered at Fleetwood as TOM MELLING (FD414).
1930: Delete manager.
1932: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood (managing owner).
19.1.1932: Registered at Fleetwood as BAHAMA (FD414).
31.1.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £7500.
4.5.1942: Sold to The Crampin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. G. Crampin, manager) for £8600 (Fleetwood based).
3.1945: Sold to Pettit & Youds Ltd (Frank L. Youds, manager), Milford Haven.
11.10.1945: Outside the dock at Milford waiting to proceed to sea, Jack Lyons, fireman fell overboard and drowned.
7.11.1945: On a trip to SW of Ireland grounds (Sk. Cherrington). In bad weather stranded on rocks off Berehaven Island. Refloated on next tide with little damage. Returned to Milford.
16.4.1949: Outward for fishing grounds (Sk W. Reynolds), in thick fog off St. Ann’s Head in collision with steam trawler P & Y (M1). Returned to Milford for repairs.
19.4.1949: Sailed on completion of repairs.
22.8.1956: At Milford Sessions, Sk. Victor Thomas was charged with failing to ‘return to the sea’ 26 stone of undersized haddocks. He was fined £5 and ordered to pay 1gn costs.
24.7.1956: Sold to Brugse Scheepsloperij (Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges) for breaking up.
17.8.1956: Delivered Bruges.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Bahama FD414

S.T. Bahama FD414
Picture Courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Bahama FD414

S.T. Bahama FD414
Picture Courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
10/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.