Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Official Number: 162956
Yard Number: 245
Gross Tonnage: 116.76
Net Tonnage: 52.84
Length: 94.3 ft
Breadth: 28.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Boiler by Riley Brothers (boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Note: Last steam drifter built in England
1931: Launched by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.245) for Alan Howard Watson, Lowestoft as MERBREEZE.
9.1931: Completed at a cost of £6,550. (Allan Howard Watson managing owner).
24.9.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT253).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (William Head, Lowestoft, managing agent).
3.5.1932: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, manager).
21.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.953) (Hire rate £69.3.6d/month).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Ty/Sk. W. G. A. Thompson RNR).
1.1942: Based Londonderry (Ty/Lieut. H. Wright RNVR).
11.6.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Re deployed as a minesweeping drifter.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed.
10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
4.1946: Transferred to Ministry of Transport.
1947: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, manager).
27.2.1948: Registered at Lowestoft (LT365) after refurbishment.
27.7.1955: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, Beccles, manager).
12.10.1955: Inward to Lowestoft, when some three miles off in collision with the Middlesbrough registered steamer NORTHUMBRIAN COAST (1180grt/1935) and sustained damage to stem and bow plating. Slipped at Lowestoft for repair.
25.2.1958: Sold to Charles Henry Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth.
2.7.1959: Sold to Merbreeze Ltd, Lowestoft (John George Mitchell, manager).
14.10.1959: Completed conversion to motor by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted with 6-cyl 360bhp 4 stroke oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
14.10.1959: Surveyed and re measured 122g 42n.
28.10.1959: Trials on completion of conversion to motor.
26.11.1975: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Luton (John Leggett, Lowestoft, manager). En bloc deal with HOSANNA (LT167) and TRITONIA (LT188).
1975: Engine removed, rebuilt by L.B.S. Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted in offshore platform standby safety vessel KINGFISH.
18.12.1975: Lowestoft registry (Part IV) closed “Vessel no longer fishing”. Stripped of all usable parts including main engine.
1976: Sold to T. G. Darling, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for breaking up by East Anglian Reclamation Ltd at Nelson Wharf, Lake Lothing, Lowestoft. En bloc deal with HOSANNA (LT167) and TRITONIA (LT188).
13.10.1976: Lowestoft registry (Part I) closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
05/10/2012: Page published.
22/06/2014: Picture added.
11/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
04/05/2019: Added an image.
13/06/2021: Updated information.