Additional information by Barry Banham
Wartime visitor

Technical

Official Number: 135784
Yard Number: 383
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 86.0
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.0 ft
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles

History

1913: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.393) for Waveney Steam Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as WIVENHOE.
12.1913: Completed (Arthur Gouldby, Kessingland, manager).
10.1.1914: Registered at Lowestoft (LT336).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1868). Based Aegean Sea.
1919: Returned to owner.
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow and Fleetwood (New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, managing agents).
26.1.1937: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, Beccles, manager).
19.5.1937: Registered at Lowestoft as COAST BREEZE (LT336).
Pre 1943-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
31.5.1944: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, Beccles, manager).
9.1957: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
4.10.1957: Sailed Lowestoft for Bruges (Sk. Scarlett).
6.10.1957: Delivered Bruges.
22.11.1957: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Coast Breeze LT336

S.D/T Coast Breeze LT336
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Coast Breeze LT336

S.D/T. Coast Breeze LT336

Changelog
29/09/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
09/07/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

© Barry Banham for FMHT

Technical

Official Number: 136596
Yard Number: 407
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 99
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.95 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

1914: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.407) for Arthur Gouldby , Kessingland (16/64); Frank Burton, Lowestoft (16/64); William Garrood, Oulton Broad (16/64); Walter Albert Wood Greaves, Lowestoft (16/64) as HOLLYDALE.
12.10.1914: Registered at Lowestoft (LT437).
14.10.1914: Completed trials and accepted (Arthur Gouldby, manager).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1873).
18.11.1918: Sold to James Johnson, Scarborough.
12.12.1918: Lowestoft registry closed.
12.12.1918: Registered at Scarborough (SH354).
1920: Returned to owner.
9.1920: Scarborough registry closed.
24.9.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1204)
19.2.1925: Sold to John Stephen, Cairnbulg, Aberdeenshire.
28.2.1925: Lowestoft registry closed.
29.2.1925: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR86).
1.1931: Sold to Edmund Thomas Capps, Lowestoft for £2,000. Fraserburgh registry closed.
5.1.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT228).
31.12.1931: Registered at Lowestoft as PÊCHEUR (LT228).
1936/37: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
9.3.1937: Sold to E. T. Capps & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Edmund Thomas Capps, manager).
17.3.1937: Landed at Fleetwood 69 boxes grossed £100.
30.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a boom drifter (P.No.Z164)(Hire rate £27.0.0d/month).
29.6.1945: Returned to Lowestoft.
17.7.1945: Returned to owner.
17.10.1945: At Lowestoft landed 70 crans of herring.
22.6.1948: In collision with steam drifter MARSHAL PAK (LT200).
12.10.1954: At Lowestoft landed 226 crans.
1956: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
15.5.1956: Arrived Bruges.
23.5.1956: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Pêcheur LT228

S.D/T Pêcheur LT228
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3592
Official Number: 146043
Yard Number:45
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Draught: 9.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Pollit & Wigzell Ltd, Sowerby Bridge
Boiler: Gt. Central Co-op Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby
Built: Webster & Bickerton (of Goole) Ltd, Goole

History

1917: Launched by Webster & Bickerton (of Goole) Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.45) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as SEA FOG (Ad.No.3592).
18.12.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) at a cost of £2,400.
1919: Paid off. Armament removed.
15.11.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for disposal. Refurbished as a fishing vessel.
30.3.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (Part IV)(LT710).
16.7.1921: Lowestoft registry closed at request of The Admiralty.
1921: Sold to H. Croft Baker & Sons Ltd, Grimsby (Henry Croft Baker, manager).
12.9.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1300).
6.1922: Sold to The Strand Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Henry Croft Baker & John L. Green, joint managers).
26.6.1922: Registered at Grimsby as SELIMUS (GY1300).
1923: Sold to L. M. Bourgain, Dieppe.
22.6.1923: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1923: Registered at Dieppe as St. PIERRE d’AlCANTARA (DI 2112).
1925: Sold to William Bruce, John McLeman, Burghead; John Campbell West, Lossiemouth & James Russell Hamilton, Elgin (William Bruce managing owner).
1925: Dieppe registry closed.
1925: Registered at Inverness as PRIMORDIAL (INS81).
1936: Sold to William Cardno, Fraserburgh (managing owner).
1936: Inverness registry closed.
1936: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR200).
1936-1939: Seasonal line fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay managing agent).
1939: Sold to Mrs Jessie Cardno & W. B. Ritchie Jnr, Fraserburgh.
28.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a harbour transport (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
194?: Sold to Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
20.12.1945: Returned to owners.
1952: Sold to ?? for breaking up. Fraserburgh registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S/D.T. Primordial FR200

S/D.T. Primordial FR200

Read / Leave a Comment

Wartime visitor

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham and Ian Wilson

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3919
Official Number: 148141
Yard Number: 58
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 32
Length: 85.8 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Engine No.129)
Boiler: William Simons & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Built: J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by J. Lewis & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.58) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as LULL (Ad.No.3919).
5.4.1918: Ran trials.
6.4.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (1-6pdr).
9.4.1918: Delivered and commissioned.
1921: De-commissioned. Laid up at Portsmouth. Armament removed.
17.6.1922: Sold to Ministry of Home Affairs, Northern Ireland for £2,000.
27.6.1922: Arrived Belfast for conversion to a tender at a cost of £1,000. (Not registered under Merchant Shipping Act as regarded as Government ship).
7.7.1922 : Commissioned as a tender (John Kelly Ltd, managers) to hulk ARGENTA (3343/1919) moored in Belfast Lough as a holding unit for Republican internees.
8.1922: ARGENTA moved to Larne Lough. Tender duties four times daily to Larne Harbour.
24.2.1924: Transferred to Ministry of Finance, Northern Ireland on ending of role of ARGENTA.
5.1924: Sold to Wallace Orchard & A. Tempest, Belfast (Wallace Orchard managing owner) for £750 with special conditions of sale to promote Sea Fishery industry in Northern Ireland and employ local men.
7.1924: At Belfast. Refurbished, Special Survey and re classed as a Fishing Vessel at a cost of £696.
28.6.1924: Carried out fishing trials.
7.8.1924: Registered at Belfast (B38).
1924-1925: Hired by Caister/Yarmouth persons for autumn herring seasons (Sk. Honks Brown, Caister).
1926: Owners sought release from commitment due to losses of £1,500. Repossessed by Northern Ireland Government.
1926: Sold to Kilkeel owners for £2,850.
6.1926: Sold to John Murray, Buckie & Others (John Murray, managing owner). Belfast registry closed. Registered at Buckie as EUNELMA (BCK438).
1931: Sold to Alexander Morgan, Peterhead (managing owner). Buckie registry closed.
Registered at Peterhead (PD102).
1932: Registered at Peterhead as MYRTLE LEAF (PD102).
1.1934: Hired by Fishery Board for Scotland as an auxiliary fishery cruiser to detect illegal inshore trawling.
3.1937: Sold to Arthur Vere Harvey, London.
3.1937: Peterhead registry closed.
8.3.1937: Registered at Lowestoft (LT200).
26.7.1937: Sold to Suffolk Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Arthur William Harvey, manager).
26.7.1937: Registered at Lowestoft as MARSHAL PAK (LT200).
1941-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
21.1.1941: Off Irish coast developed leak, contained and returned to Fleetwood.
22.11.1941: Damaged gallows when gear came fast.
2.1.1942: At Fleetwood damaged gallows after striking projecting bar at berth.
29.1.1942: Damaged gallows when gear came fast.
21.12.1942: Damaged propeller shaft when gear fouled propeller.
10.2.1943: Damaged bollards when gear came fast.
5.3.1944: In Morecambe Bay broke foremast.
21.3.1945: When hauling winch shaft fractured.
14.4.1946: Damaged propeller shaft.
22.6.1948: Damaged following collision with steam drifter PÊCHEUR (LT228).
2.1949: Landing at Milford (William Henry Kerr, manager).
4.8.1950: Sold to W. H. Kerr (Ship Chandlers) Ltd, Milford Haven (William Henry Kerr, manager).
7.1952: Last landing at Milford.
12.1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Charlestown, Fife for breaking up (Contract No.94D).
3.1.1956: Sailed Lowestoft for Firth of Forth.
5.1.1956: Delivered Charlestown.
1.1956: Breaking up commenced.
12.6.1957: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Lull B38

S.D/T. Lull B38
Picture courtesy The Ian Wilson Collection

S.D/T. Marshal Pak LT200

S.D/T. Marshal Pak LT200
From The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection courtesy of George Scales

Read / Leave a Comment

In Fleetwood ownership. Did not fish from the port

Technical

Official Number: 162185
Yard Number: 1086
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 353
Net Tonnage: 147
Length: 140.0 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C.D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

30.11.1939: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 156.2 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 374g 167n.
(In 1935 the Hull trawler LEONIDAS (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)
T.3-cyl and boiler by C.D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

31.5.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1086) for Newington Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ARNOLD BENNETT.
22.7.1930: Registered at Hull (H259).
25.7.1930: Completed.
3.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY1939) (Hire rate £201.10.1d/month).
6.1940: Based Invergordon (Ty/Sk. R. W. Milliner RNR).
5.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
3.7.1945: Returned to owner.
3.7.1945: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. R. Milliner).
25.7.1945: At Hull landed 2,166 kits grossed £8,226.
2.5.1947: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull (Kenneth Percival, managers).
4.11.1948: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
23.11.1949: Sold to W.H.D. Dunnett, Bray & Air Cdre A. V. Harvey CBE MP, London (B.A. Parkes, manager).
23.4.1955: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.83D).
22.5.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Hull under own power.
6.1955: Breaking up commenced.
1955: Hull registry closed.
6.1955: Breaking up commenced.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Arnold Bennett H259

S.T. Arnold Bennett H259
Picture courtesy of Hull Trawlers

Read / Leave a Comment