Category Archives: War Losses

Vessels lot due to war

S.T. Barnsley GY125

Technical

Official Number: 106673
Yard Number: 532
Completed: 1896
Gross Tonnage: 144
Net Tonnage: 46
Length: 104.0 ft
Breadth: 20.7 ft
Depth: 10.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by N. E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Edwards Bros Ltd, North Shields

History

24.9.1896: Launched by Edwards Bros Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.532) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as BARNSLEY.
10.1896: Completed.
27.10.1896: Registered at Grimsby (GY125).
4.1906: Transferred to The Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby. John D. Marsden designated manager on the formation of the company.
28.11.1908: Arrived Grimsby in tow of steam trawler TITAN (GY1259) disabled with broken tailshaft.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.717).
5.1915: Returned to owner.
12.1916: Sold to The Mersey Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor designated manager.
13.2.1917: Fishing 13 miles N of Inishtrahull. Stopped by U-boat (U78), Skipper and Chief Engineer taken prisoner. Sunk by explosive charges.
17.2.1917: Survivors returned to Fleetwood.
9.3.1917: Grimsby registry closed.

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
10/08/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Albatross (1) GY279

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 108460
Yard Number: 177
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 158
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 100.0 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley

History

6.3.1897: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.177) for Thomas Baskcomb (22/64), Henry Lewis Taylor (21/64) & Thomas William Baskcomb (21/64), Grimsby as ALBATROSS.
4.1897: Completed.
6.4.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY279).
6.4.1897: Thomas Baskcomb designated managing owner.
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George Jeffs, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 51/2% (A).
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
8.4.1898: Mortgage (B) discharged.
5.2.1899: While sheltering in Fuzleford Harbour, Faroe Islands, arrested by Danish gunboat for being in harbour with trawls not stowed. Fined £10. On leaving harbour had machinery defect and returned to harbour. Fined a further £34 with nets and gear confiscated.
3.4.1907; Mortgage (A) transferred to Thomas Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
24.2.1908: Mortgage (A) discharged.
24.4.1908: Thomas Baskcomb shares (22/64) and Henry Lewis Taylor shares (21/64) sold to Thomas William Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
25.2.1908: Thomas William Baskcomb designated managing owner.
17.3.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (C).
14.9.1910: Sold to Alick Black (60/64) and Rowland Hill (4/64), Grimsby.
15.9.1910: Alick Black designated managing owner.
15.9.1910: Mortgage (C) discharged.
5.11.1910: Rowland Hill shares (4/64) sold to Alick Black (64/64), Grimsby.
25.1.1911: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
Pre 1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 66.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
5.6.1914: Henry Croft Baker appointed manager.
27.5.1914: Mortgage (D) discharged.
28.5.1914: Sold to The Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.6.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
8.11.1915: Mortgage (E) discharged.
9.11.1915: Sold to John Lawrence Green (64/64), Grimsby.
10.11.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (F).
11.11.1915: John Lawrence Green designated managing owner.
24.9.1916: Stopped by U-boat (U57) approx 20 miles E of Flamborough Head and sunk by gunfire.
20.10.1916: Grimsby registry closed “ Vessel sunk in North Sea by German submarine on the 24.9.1916”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Albatross GY229

S.T. Albatross GY279
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
01/02/2015: Picture added.
30/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.
14/06/2019: Minor update.

S.T. Dhoon (1) FD244

Technical

Official Number: 139213
Yard Number: 636
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 108
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

19.4.1916: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.636) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood as DHOON.
24.5.1916: Registered at Fleetwood (FD244).
5.1916: Completed (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager).
9.1916: Requisitioned for war service from the builders and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.2959).
24.11.1916: Mined near Newarp Light Vessel.
19.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost – Ty/Sk. Allan McB. Ramsay; Edward Casey, 2nd Hand; George Sharkey & William Stonebanks, Enginemen; Hugh McAngus, seaman; James F. B. Main, Malcolm McLeod, Isaac S. Stone & George M. Tait, deckhands; Donald Finlayson & Arthur G. Gardner, trimmers; John G. Lawrie, signalman)

S.T. Delphine A126

Technical

Official Number: 135979
Yard Number: 569
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 250
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

25.11.1913: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.569) for Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby as DELPHINE.
5.1.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY958).
1.1914: Completed at a cost of £8773 13s 0d (John D. Marsden, manager).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1619).
1919: Returned to owner.
9.1927: Owners restyled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D Marsden, Bart, manager).
28.9.1929: Grimsby registry closed “To transfer to Nova Scotia”.
7.7.1930: Grimsby registry re-opened (GY958).
9.1934: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John Alexander Harrow, manager).
19.9.1934: Grimsby registry closed.
20.9.1934: Registered at Aberdeen (A126).
10.1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
20.11.1939: On fishing grounds 18 miles N by E of Tory Island, Co. Donegal (Sk.C. J. Coxall); thirteen crew. At 3.30 p.m. observed 4 miles WSW a cloud of steam from a sinking trawler (THOMAS HANKINS (LO333)). Surmised U-boat in vicinity, hauled gear and made off, sent W/T distress message. At 4.00 pm. stopped by U-boat (U.33), abandoned to boat, sunk by gunfire. Boat damaged in launching, Ch.Eng put his foot in hole and packed with tallow. After twenty two hours and 38 miles, landed on Tory Island.
30.11.1939: Aberdeen registry closed.

Changelog
19/05/2012: page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

Technical

Official Number: 136887
Yard Number: 576
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 269
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

27.4.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.576) for Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager) as CITY OF DUNDEE.
22.5.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
5.1914: Completed.
1.6.1914: Landed at Fleetwood from maiden trip.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Ad.No.678). Based Dover.
15.9.1915: At 7.10 pm. foundered after collision with steamer PATROCLUS (5509grt/?) at the Folkestone Gate. Officer in Command Lieut. Albert J. Coles RNR and seven men saved, six by PATROCLUS and two by steamer MISTLEY (135grt/?) . Remainder of crew, Warrant Officer Telegraphist, RNR and six men, lost*.
28.9.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost* – Ty/Warrant Telegraphist Ernest A. Sutton; Charles E. Freeman, 2nd Hand; Arthur Howe, 2nd Engineman; Thomas Baker & Thomas May, deckhands; William E. Hill, trimmer.)

(Note: “Lieut. A. J. Coles RNR and Lieut. A. Bean RNR “SEAWARD HO” rendered good Service on Folkestone Gate, when traffic route had to be diverted at a moment’s notice”.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

S.T. City of Dundee FD4
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow Collection

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
09/08/2014: Picture added.
03/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
05/12/2019: Updated information.